Wednesday, May 18, 2011

An Auspicious Day

Yesterday, May 17th 2011, was an auspicious day. It was Buddha Purnima, which celebrates the Buddha's birthday, the day of his enlightenment, and the day he died and passed into Nirvana.
It was also my birthday. To my knowledge, Buddha Purnima has never been on my birthday before (because it's a lunar thing), so that was really cool.
So, when my dad posted on my facebook wall, "What an auspicious day!" with a picture of a Buddhist holy man, it made me fairly happy that my birthday was "auspicious" because it happened to fall on the right day this year.
Then, today, while syncing my new ipod (this one can handle holding my entire music library, instead of less than half of it), I noticed an inscription on the back of it. It said, "Happy 18th birthday, Carlin! An auspicious day indeed!"
I suspected collaboration between parents, but Mom told me that she had simply chosen "auspicious" over the myriad of synonyms (splendid, stupendous, wonderful, great, grand, fantastic, special) by chance. She's wrong, of course. This is an omen -- My adult life is going to rock!