Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Wedding Dress For Mother

By the way, my mother, the beautiful and just JM is engaged to the wise and kind JL.
They've been seeing each other for quite some time now, and I am shocked, not that both their names start with the letter J, but that I've really never noticed that commonality until now.

Next, allow me to inform you that the title of this post sounds like it ought to be a book. "A Daisy for Armadillo," "A Wedding Dress For Mother," you know, all in the same vein.

And thirdly, I stayed home sick (in the American and British senses of the word!) today, and I looked at wedding dresses.

A lot of them.

Actually, if I'm to be specific, I looked at Mother of the Bride dresses, because while my mother is getting married, she seems to think that wearing a poofy white concoction at age olderthanthou+ is ridiculous. So. Some of my favorites so far are:



I just love the detailed neckline and the pleated sleeves. It's a bit suit-ier than is my ideal, but it is her wedding, after all.
This dress is 50705, from David's Bridal (davidsbridal.com).








This dress's ephemeral quality is what blows my mind away. The grey color reminds me of smoke dissolving in the sky and the dream-like sheer overlay adds to that. I wouldn't want her marrying JL in that color -- and the effect wouldn't work in any other. Therefore, it's just here because I really like it.
This dress is 29994, from Montage Boutique (brides.com)








I like the lace of the top, I love the ruching, I love the delicate "lift" of the skirt... Beautiful dress, in all. This is the kind of thing I hope she'll wear -- romantic, and beautiful.
This dress is 29976, Montage by Mon Cherie (brides.com)








I love this dress because it's sophisticated and pretty, simultaneously gorgeous and unpretentious. I like the sheen of the top and the dullness of the bottom, I like the drip effect and the flowy sleeves...
It is M578 Demetrios Evening (brides.com)









This is my favorite. Its asymmetry adds a contemporary feel, as do the contrasting directions of the tucks. However, it's also romantic in its length and in its overall look -- I love it. Muchly.
This dress is A7682, by Avanti Designs (brides.com)








I made a gorgeous spreadsheet (much of it blank...) of the things we need to get done before this shebang happens, too. These things need to be decided (date, time, locale) and announced (invitations, flowers, cake), and talked about (caterers, music, decor)...

I am excited!

No comments: