Saturday, January 14, 2012

La vie est bonne, mangez les bon-bons.

Okay, so the French up there is probably a monstrosity, and I really ought to go check on the rules for using articles before I post this, to avoid embarrassment, but I felt like doing a title in French, and I don't feel like finding a textbook (or using the google), so that's how it's going to be.


Apologies, francophones of the internet.

Today is Saturday, and I go back to Temple on Monday. I'm kind of excited for that (shhh! Don't tell my mother!), but at the same time, I'm trying to cook things in the interim because not having a kitchen really kinda sucks a lot. Beaucoup suckage.

Anyway, yesterday, I made and ate Nutella chocolate cookies, with both dark and white chocolate chips. They were good, although it was super-hard to figure out when they were done. Very rich, as well. I used this recipe from The Kitchen is my Playground, which was good, although I will add that you should take the cookies out of the oven right when the edges are no longer "wet." Mine were still fabulous, but they were a little more "done" than I would have liked. The cookie dough, however, was delectable :)

These are not Nutella chocolate chip cookies, but apple cider caramels. Keep reading, beloved reader.

Today, I made and am waiting to eat apple cider caramels from Not so Humble Pie. By apple cider, I mean American apple cider -- the kind that's basically unfiltered apple juice not from concentrate, which you can warm up with mulling spices and be transported into an October-y heaven with every sip/breath. It didn't take as long as I expected, only about an hour and a half, and it was fairly easy. My only worry is that my candy may have crystallized, and I really hope it didn't. We'll see, once it's finished setting, though I can say that they did smell phenomenal! I got a bit impatient and took the pan with the cooling caramels from the kitchen table and put it into the snow. The recipe is here, and I really recommend perusing Mrs. Humble's blog. It's fun to look through the archives, and if you're at all interested in the science aspect of food, she has many articles about food science. For instance, I didn't realize that the reason that you check a candy's temperature to decide if it's done is because the boiling point rises as the syrup becomes more and more concentrated, leading to higher ratios of sugar to water/fat. The higher boiling temperature, the harder the candy will be when it's finished.

I hope your day was as delicious as mine was!
Au revoir!